4/19/2016

Argentina - January 25, 2016

"no hay opciones"
 
Hola mama, 
That is right, you guys have Region Drill tomorrow! How exciting, I just hope the best for Mckady, she needs to have fun and enjoy the time that she has. And mom, you guys need to be safe in your travels! But the good thing with dance is that she will be able to keep dancing her whole time, or teaching, so it could be just a start to something bigger:) Wow, missionaries coming home, I am not coming home for a long time! I still have lots of time!!! Ha, let's not make it go faster, ha. What I have learned is that the missionary work in the whole world is not easy, there are lots of hard things, but that means more sweet is the joy!  Ha, that is so sweet that Elsie is praying:) but tell her that the future is sometimes a long ways away, not tomorrow! That goodness for that, ha. It is so crazy that Jed is already so grown up, and I have never even seen him! Oh, you know Jesse wants kids, he is just teasing! It is still so weird to me that Jesse is a dad! That is just so crazy! Ha! 
Okay, a little about my week here in good ole little Vera, to be honest it was a little slower week, but there were still some good things that we have seen, just  the little progression that you can see every day. Last Monday we got to know a menos activo and her kids, but here the world can be very rough on kids, with the drinking and smoking, but her kids are great. One of her kids doesn't have legs, but he keeps going, he has a lot of tattoos. She is trying as a single mother to help her kids, but it is hard.  Then we had a lesson with Ramon, and we will see how he goes, so if he doesn't smoke this week we will have a baptism for him:) Just a lot of faith and prayers. 
Wednesday we went to Reconquista to see the trsmision for all the missionaries in the whole world, and it was awesome! It talked a lot about how our purpose as missionaries is to teach repentance and to baptize converts.  It talked about a lot of things that we can do as missionaries to invite people to come unto Christ. Elder Anderson talked, Elder Bednar gave this instructions class, and then Elder Oaks talked, it was really good. So we stayed in Reconquista that night because the next morning we had interviews with President Franco, and those were really good also. He said some things that were very interesting to me. Well, this was during the training we received from him. He was talking about having bad days, and that sometimes the mission is hard, which is true, he said he has had the hardest times in his life here in the mission.  He served in the military here in Argentina, went  to a new country to live, was a bishop, stake president, and Area 70, but the hardest in his whole life has been the mission, it is not easy but it is the time where we will grow the most! Then he said something that I really liked, no hay opciones, that means there are no options. We have been given our own agency, but there isn't options, we have to be keep the commandments, and well, it was good, I liked it! 
This week it seemed like we had a lot of lessons fall through, but you just got to go keep working and keep helping the people. Sunday we had 31 people in church, but not one investigator.  There were more people who stayed for the 3rd hour, which was really nice! Then, in the afternoon we had a great lesson with Ramon, so we will see if he can use the atonement and not smoke, but we will see. That leads us to where we are right now, me typing this email. It is weird sometimes to think that I am really far away.  It rained last night, so that means that there is going to be a lot of humidity today, but don't worry, I am doing good. When I got in to my interview, President was like, "Elder, you have lost weight". Yeah, but not to worry, I am as healthy as a horse. It will be good, this way I can just put on some solid muscle when I get home, not fat, ha! 
Oh yeah, I got an e-mail from Amber!:) That is so exciting!:) I am super excited! It is going to be the same day I get home though, ha! 
I decided that I am to used to life here in Argentina, like, it just feels normal, is that weird? If only I could drink mate, don't worry, I will bring some home and we are all going to drink it. Oh yeah, I got a letter from Sister Kay Jones, and she put some notes from the San Juan record, and it looks like there are lots of people getting married! Besides Amanda, has there been anyone from my grade that has gotten married? That is just weird that people are getting married! But life is good here, I am happy and content. I know that the church is true! I know I am supposed to be here at this time! I know Jesus is the Christ and our Savior, and I am so grateful for that, how wonderful it is to have a Savior! It brings lots of happiness. I hope you guys have a wonderful week. I wish the best of luck to McKady, and I hope it goes well! I love you mom, I will always love you more than you ever know!
Elder Grover