8/04/2009

Arkansas - August 3, 2009

How is everyone doing? I hope you are all doing well - good, great, wonderful. Here is one for you, you know that swine flu? Who would have guessed it would make it all the way to Arkansas? No don't worry, I don't have it, but I met someone that did - kinda crazy, well, really crazy. I was in Bentonville for the day, and we went to have dinner with this family. And when we got there they told us we were going to have dinner out by the pool - yes, a real pool. So anyway, we found out that one of the children had been off to band camp at the University of Arkansas and picked up swine flu. One lady that we are teaching, she is from Honduras, not too far from Guatemala. She came to the church for the second time. She is very solid, she is coming along. The first time we challenged her to be baptized she just said, I've already been baptized before. Then she said, I know it is something that I am going to do, but it is more like renewing my vows. Not quite the right idea, but close - real close. We are teaching lots of very solid people right now. It is good to hear that everything is going well. Keep God on the top of your list and everything will work out. Although life is crazy and there is a lot going on, don't let the little things slip by: reading, praying, etc. Take a copy of the Book of Mormon with you. I am not promising an absence of opposition, I am just promising the strength to face it. You and I both know it comes. I am amazed at the difference in people. We had a situation and one person, although later sedated, erupted just a bit; while another with a cool even head quietly, resolved the problem, not only helping the situation, but calming every one around him. That is the Power of God. A second situation, one that has had a deep impact on me. As we were out we knocked on this particular door and a man answered, and after a short dialogue, he let us in. The atmosphere was tense, not contentious, but tense. He Asked some really intense doctrinal questions; one regarding the trinity, and another regarding the mortality and divinity of Christ -that he was all God and not a man. I have learned that I really don't have a the power or the knowledge to answer questions, but that the spirit does, and I have a very wise companion. So we simply began to do what representatives of Christ do: Teach, Testify and Invite. We bore pure testimony of the divine call of Joseph Smith, of the reality and truth of the Book of Mormon, telling him that the truth of everything that we share rises and falls with the truth of the Book of Mormon, and that we stand on that entirely. The spirit in the room changed and we both left edified. The book of Mormon is true. Christ lives and this is his church led by Christ himself. Take the opportunity to share the Gospel. Keep reading, praying and, sharing the gospel. Please remember me in your prayers. And I know that you are all in God's hands.
Your son,
Elder Jordan Grover